Civil Engineer (Intermediate)
||March 8, 2018
why you should be interested
You will assist our local staff in the design, construction, and project management of a wide variety of projects including small and large scale municipal developments, civil site development, and municipal rehabilitation projects. The core requirements for the role are strong technical capabilities covering all aspects of civil design specifically water, sanitary, and storm sewer design. Broader roles may include general design tasks related to transportation projects, mine site development, airports, and urban planning.
You will have hands-on involvement in preparing studies, designs, cost estimates, specifications, and contract documents. Participation in scheduling, budgeting, tendering, and contract administration for infrastructure projects is also part of the role, including involvement in business development and preparation of proposals.
You will also have significant interaction with clients, contractors, and sub-consultants. The position brings with it the potential for excellent career growth as you will be involved in many wide ranging and varied projects. Travel will be required at times based on project requirements.
how you'll contribute to our company
Duties include the following:
- Act as Project Engineer/Manager on assignments with assistance of senior engineers
- Coordinate technicians and designers to ensure that contract drawings are accurately prepared and checked
- Prepare written technical reports including but not limited to feasibility studies, concept design, detailed design, and design criteria reports
- Prepare contract documents and construction drawings
- Perform construction administration/inspection
- Project Management tasks including communications with clients, managing schedules, budgets and reporting requirements
- Achieve budget compliance on assigned engineering projects to ensure financial objectives are met or exceeded
- Actively participate in marketing strategies and business development with clients to procure business
- Assist with writing proposals to procure new projects
- Effectively and clearly communicate, both verbally and in writing with clients
- Coordinate sub-consultants activity on projects
- Execute projects in accordance with company guidelines and standards
what you will bring to the table
You should have the following qualifications:
- An undergraduate degree in civil engineering from an accredited university
- Eligible for professional licensing with Engineers Yukon as an P.Eng., with a minimum of 5 years of civil design experience
- Experience in the undertaking of design, specifications, cost estimating, tendering, and construction
- Proven technical skills
- Strong communication and organization skills
- Committed team player
- Track record in managing clients and developing client relationships
- Proven people skills for both internal and external clients
- Strong will to grow career
- Ability to liaise effectively and clearly with clients, both written and verbal
- Comfortable working on a variety of project types in a variety of disciplines and sectors across northern Canada
how you'll showcase your fit to the position
If you have the right background and would like to join a Platinum Club Member of Canada's Best Managed companies, please forward your resume and cover letter to:
301 - 4109 4th Avenue
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 1H6
Please include position title and location in the subject line if you are e-mailing your application. We thank all applicants, but will only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
AE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBT community to apply. For applicants with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We are also committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and as such, it will be used for recruitment and employment purposes only.