Fisheries Biologist/Aquatic Scientist (Intermediate)
||Vancouver, British Columbia
||March 29, 2018
||Environmental Assessment & Planning, Fish, Wildlife & Ecosystems, Water and Earth Sciences
why you should be interested
Associated Environmental Consultants is part of the Associated Engineering Group of companies; employee-owned, Canadian and one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. We provide a wide range of environmental consulting services to a client base that is well diversified between public and private sectors. Our environmental science and management services are well integrated with those of our engineering colleagues, providing opportunities to work with talented people across disciplines and throughout western and northern Canada.
We are currently searching for an Intermediate Fisheries Biologist/Aquatic Scientist to join our Vancouver office. You combine a scientific background in fisheries and aquatic ecology with an entrepreneurial spirit. You work well within technical teams to complete environmental assessments, and you have an established track record of building and maintaining strong client relationships. You are looking for an opportunity to take your career to the next level.
how you'll contribute to our company
Reporting to the Environmental Manager in the Vancouver office, you will take on a strong role in program design and implementation, project management, and client and business development. Some travel and field work is required for this position.
Responsibilities will include:
- Acting as a fisheries/aquatic specialist and/or managing projects in a variety of client sectors in western and northern Canada
- Designing field studies to answer technical questions
- Coordinating field surveys and supervising field personnel
- Preparing high quality technical reports
- Contributing specialist input to multi-disciplinary projects
- Coordinating project submissions and liaison as part of municipal, provincial and federal regulatory processes
- Developing and managing relationships with industry, government and First Nation clients, with a focus on those located in the south coast of BC
- Preparing workplans and cost estimates for technical programs, and writing high quality proposals
- Contributing to the growth and scientific development of the company
what you will bring to the table
You should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelors' degree in Fisheries or Aquatic Science. A Master’s degree is preferred
- Minimum 5 years of experience in environmental consulting and/or applied research
- Experience in the hydro-power, transportation, urban development, municipal water/wastewater, and/or mining sectors
- Practical experience in environmental inventory, fisheries and aquatic resource studies, environmental assessment, habitat restoration design, and environmental flow needs (EFN)
- Strong abilities in field methods, data analysis, and report preparation
- Experience in study design, statistical analysis and interpretation
- Background in hydrology, water quality or marine biology are considered assets
- Knowledge and experience with Federal, Provincial, Municipal and First Nations regulatory, planning and approvals processes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience developing and maintaining client relationships
- Leadership, project management and mentoring skills
- Professional registration (R.P.Bio. or eligible for registration within 6 months of employment commencement)
how you'll showcase your fit to the position
If you have the right background and would like to join a Platinum Club Member of Canada's Best Managed companies, please forward your resume to:
500-2889 East 12th Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5M 4T5
Please include position title and location in the subject line if you are e-mailing your application. We thank all applicants, but will only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
AE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBT community to apply. For applicants with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We are also committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and as such, it will be used for recruitment and employment purposes only.