Junior Biologist (Environmental Scientist)
||March 5, 2018
||Environmental Assessment & Planning, Fish, Wildlife & Ecosystems
why you should be interested
Associated Environmental Consultants is part of the Associated Engineering group of companies; employee-owned, Canadian and one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. We provide a wide range of environmental consulting services to a client base that is well diversified between public and private sectors. Our environmental science and management services are well integrated with those of our engineering colleagues, providing opportunities to work with talented people across disciplines and throughout western and northern Canada.
You are a versatile junior scientist with aspirations to become a registered professional, and value the importance of being exposed to a variety of interesting and challenging projects from a field and office setting. You have a desire to work with a dynamic team supported by professionals across our offices.
We offer a culture that promotes entrepreneurial spirit within the stability of a well-established company. Our growing Saskatoon office provides many professional development and advancement opportunities for those with an aptitude for consulting.
how you'll contribute to our company
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Conducting desktop searches for environmental sensitivities
- Completing biophysical field surveys (soils, wetlands, fish and fish habitat, wildlife, vegetation)
- Collecting surface water samples
- Entering and analyzing data for regulatory submissions
- Supporting environmental regulatory permitting and approval processes
- Writing reports with the oversight and support of intermediate/senior staff
- Working independently and in a team environment
- Engaging with multi-disciplinary teams, project managers, and clients
- Managing time and budget for assigned tasks
- Contributing to business development, proposal writing, and fostering client relationships
what you will bring to the table
You should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or technical diploma in an environmental discipline (e.g. biology, ecology, environmental science, or soil/reclamation science)
- Minimum one year of experience in consulting (with a Saskatchewan or Alberta focus)
- Preference will be given to candidates who are registered or eligible to hold a professional designation (P. Ag, P. Biol.)
- Willingness to travel for extended periods and work in the field in remote locations
- Knowledge of provincial regulatory requirements including the Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment wildlife and plant survey protocols
- Experience conducting breeding bird point count surveys would be an asset
- Experience working with the construction industry would be an asset
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to follow direction and take initiative
- Ability to convert plans into action and effectively manage time and deliver on commitments
how you'll showcase your fit to the position
If you have the right background and would like to join a Platinum Club Member of Canada's Best Managed Companies Program, please email your resume in confidence to:
1 - 2225 Northridge Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7L 6X6
Please include position title and location in the subject line if you are e-mailing your application. We thank all applicants, but will only contact those candidates selected for interviews.
AE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and members of the LGBT community to apply. For applicants with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We are also committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and as such, it will be used for recruitment and employment purposes only.