How Do I Get A Licence or Use Approval?

Step 1. Are you sure you need a licence?

If you are a domestic water user, you may not need to license your well (although registering your well is a good idea). Use our flow chart to help you.

Step 2. Register for a BCeID

The application process can take time. Unless you plan to complete the application within one single login, you will need to set up an online account with the BC Government so that you can save and go back into the application over time. Register for your online BCeID.

Step 3: Collect the necessary information on your well(s) for registration

Collect information about your well such as:

  • Location of your well(s). Google Earth can be used for this.
  • Construction reports and well depth
  • Well ID Plate Identifier (affixed to the outside of the steel casing on most wells installed after 2005)
  • Land parcel information (from your BC Assessment Form or BC Parcel Search)

Step 4: Compile your water use history and property information 

Determine the following:

  • Your water use category: Descriptions of water use categories can be found in the Water Sustainability Act, Part 1 Paragraph 2, Water Use Purposes. If you need more information on the Industrial Use, check the Water Sustainability Regulation, Schedule A.
  • When you first started using your water: Proof of the date that groundwater was first used will be needed. Many different types of proof of first use is acceptable and include:
    • Pumping records
    • Pumping test reports
    • Water quality test results
  • The amount of water you use: If you don’t know how much water you use, but you use water for irrigation or livestock, the BC Agriculture Water Calculator is an easy tool that can help to estimate your water use.

Step 5: Apply to protect your water rights today

Contact Associated Environmental to help you through the process or go to FrontCounter BC to start your application today!