The Broadway Subway Project is a 5.7 km extension to Metro Vancouver’s existing rapid transit system (Skytrain) along one of the busiest bus routes in Canada and includes a 5 km tunnel connecting six underground stations.
Associated Engineering is providing quality management services during the procurement, design, construction, and commissioning phases of the project providing advice on all aspects of its quality management system (QMS), quality management plans, and the application of the ISO 9001:2015 standard. Our services require an in-depth understanding of not only the client’s requirements and applicable standards and regulations, but also of the multi-discipline design and construction processes, design principles, and the communication requirements and protocols.
Our quality management team is overseeing all matters relating to quality management for the project and to:
- Develop, implement, and maintain QMS requirements and documentation;
- Coordinate effective internal and external communications between stakeholders;
- Review quality submissions and maintain quality management records;
- Develop an audit program and carry out external quality audits and monitoring of the project’s design-build contractor;
- Track, monitor, report, and respond to the actions planned and taken in response to quality findings such as nonconformities, deficiencies, and observations;
- Report regularly about the QMS’ performance and effectiveness including any opportunities for improvement; and
- Facilitate continuous quality improvement practices and initiatives.
Because of a diversified organizational structure by the design-build contractor, with each of its subcontractors constructing key components, the project requires quality oversight diligence to ensure that design, construction, traffic, and environmental management requirements and expectations are effectively met. Of importance is the challenge of building a major transit infrastructure project in the middle of a busy commercial and residential urban center. Maintaining efficient open communication with the local neighbourhood is a key requirement for the project’s success.